Fiber laser engraving machines have led the way in the jewelry manufacturer’s hallmarking process because of their high-power capabilities for engraving wonderful ornaments.
Women always run after fashion and beauty, and to satisfy their pursuit for aesthetic appreciation, a more customized version of jewelry can be created using the efficiency and precision of fiber laser technology.
“Fiber laser technology allows you to customize your jewelry and let your imagination go wild.”
Being an advanced processing tool, this machine does wonders in producing exclusive jewelry marking and engraving of a wide range of patterns, alphanumeric codes, and images on metals.
The non-contact processing will cause no material loss of the jewelry. The marked pattern is refined, beautiful, endurable, and long-lasting.
Thanks to the versatile nature of fiber lasers, many Jewelry designers make the most of this technology, whether it’s about engraving a photo onto a pendant, adding a unique pattern to a ring, branding jewelry with a logo for corporate events, or personalizing a necklace with a heart-warming message – the possibilities are endless.
So, if you’re deciding to step into this industry, don’t forget to consider the following steps for a successful home-based business journey.
Step 1: Understand Fiber Laser Engraving Technology & How It Works
The jewelry industry has attained the highest standards owing to advanced multi-purpose fiber laser technology. High-precision laser engravers such as ComMarker Fiber laser models meet the demands of jewelry manufacturing, from raw materials to the final artwork, thus making your jewelry more meaningful and unique.
The best reason for using laser engraving technology is that It can possibly work on almost any type of jewelry, including gold, silver, platinum, titanium, and stainless steel, and provides outstanding results in terms of flexibility, precision, and quality.
They work by directing a high-powered laser beam onto the jewelry surface. When a laser beam hits the metal surface, the material is heated to such an extent that its surface is vaporized, thus producing durable marks that stand up to significant amounts of wear and tear.
The whole jewelry engraving process is controlled by computer software that allows you to adjust the laser’s speed, power, frequency, and other settings. This offers unparalleled precision that enables operators to do incredibly detailed work, far exceeding what traditional engraving can achieve.
The laser beam can also be focused to a minimal spot size. As a result, laser-engraved jewelry pieces often feature an exquisite level of detail.
Regardless of the shape or the material you want to use for laser engraving jewelry, high-precision fiber engravers, just like the ComMarker models, provide you with the following benefits.
- Highly efficient- The laser models from ComMarker win over consumers through low maintenance costs and low investment risk, as well as their ease of use and high-quality output.
- Creative design: these tools can engrave pretty much any design on your jewelry pieces and customize them for you.
- Maximum flexibility: the process suits many material surfaces, thicknesses, and shapes.
- Superior Precision: Jewelry laser engraving offers unparalleled precision and fine, exact details in designs that are nearly impossible to replicate with traditional manual methods.
You might feel overwhelmed with the range of laser engraving machines available in the market for your jewelry engraving business. If you indulge in varied options, you can easily choose an ideal one using all the factors mentioned below.
This element is imperative because most of your engraving tasks depend on the laser power source. This power parameter is measured in watts, and the wattage dictates how quickly and deeply the equipment can engrave markings. This can have a significant effect on your productivity and work efficiency.
For this, first, you need to know the cycle time, i.e., the number of parts you want to engrave per minute. If you’re restricted by short cycle time, a 100-500W high-power laser source is a wise investment; otherwise, a low-power laser (20-30W) does your regular engraving tasks.
Apart from this, the optimal laser power requirement relies on the metal type (aluminum, gold, titanium, stainless steel), the size of the working area, and the patterns, tags, and designs that need to be engraved.
While engraving jewelry, metals are the primary material, so it’s pretty challenging to assess their intrinsic properties and level of depth beforehand. Laser engraving metals yields different results depending on thermal conductivity, material reflectivity, and the grade of a particular metal alloy.
For example, Aluminum and copper have the property of high reflectivity, so their engraving requires higher power.
Ideally, to mark or engrave metallic jewelry with the laser machine, you can choose the fiber laser with a minimal power of 20W or more.
The obvious reason to choose fiber laser machines for jewelry engraving is that it performs their job much faster, more efficiently, and reliably than any other method, but how much is the speed required for the task?
The answer is determined by these three factors.
1) The Size Of The Marking Area: Large-format marking requires more speed than small format.
2) The Depth Of The Marking: The shallower the marking, the faster the speed, and vice versa.
4) The Spot Size Of The Laser Marking Machine: the smaller the spot size, the larger the marking speed and vice Versa.
The power, speed, and other engraving settings are primarily run by your machine’s software and control system, so looking for user-friendly software and efficient control systems will allow you to alter settings and make bespoke engravings on jewelry.
Selecting the appropriate software and control system would greatly contribute to the quality and precision of your engravings. It will streamline the process and make it simple for you to send your drawings to the machine.
Given the increasing benefits of using fiber laser technologies to assist with your jewelry business, it’s equally important to examine if you have got the proper space and ventilation system to execute the operation.
Obviously, fiber laser would generate a highly-concentrated beam of light to engrave the desired patterns on jewelry; it demands proper workspace preparation. This includes adequate lighting, ventilation, cleanliness, and a safe and accident-free workspace.
Thoroughly cleaning your workspace and the surrounding area and making them free from dust and airborne pollutants is very necessary. If you’re working out of your garage or shed, it might require deep cleaning.
If you use an external vent or fume extractor for the laser machine, have it installed and ready to use.
Also, a part of your investment goes into arranging safety outfits such as gloves, protective eyes, and bodywear, getting machine enclosures, and obtaining fiber machine knowledge through refresher courses.
To successfully start your home–based jewelry business, purchasing your fiber laser engraving machine is the top priority. While you search for them personally or online, the choice is not always easy as you will face diverse models in the market. So, here we have outlined a few of the quality fiber laser models for your convenience.
|Parameters||ComMarkerB4 Laser Engraver||ComMarker B4 JPT MOPA Fiber Laser Marking Machine||ComMarker UV Laser Marking machine|
|Frequency range||20-80khz||1-4000khz||20khz -150khz|
|Engraving Speed||15,000 mm/s||10,000mm/s||Very high-speed|
|Service Life,||100,000 Hrs service life||100,000 Hrs service life||100,000 Hrs service life|
|Engraving Area||200mm x 200mm working sizeOr 110mm x110mm||200mm x 200mm working sizeOr 110mm x110mm||200mm x 200mm working sizeOr 110mm x110mm|
|Depth||0.03mm-1mm depth on metal||– 0.03mm-1mm depth on metal||– 0.03mm- depth on glass|
|Laser Power||20W-100W||20W-100W||3W, 5W|
When choosing a fiber laser machine, the cost is the fundamental factor to take into account. First, you need to establish your price range for equipment and then look into options inside it.
Note that fiber laser engravers are high-grade machines used for engraving metals and other industrial applications; therefore, they are generally pricier than other models.
Finding the right balance between price and quality is crucial. While it may be tempting to choose the least expensive one to save your initial cost, but the machine needs to be sure it matches your needs and is made to last.
Remember that purchasing a dependable, high-quality fiber laser engraver such as ComMarker will pay off with superior outcomes and a longer lifespan.
Also, Check whether the intended brand is offering you product warranties. Genuine fiber laser manufacturers offer machine warranties to cover any manufacturing defects or malfunctions if they occur within the defined period. This is a practical consideration as it assures you that the manufacturer will repair or replace the machine at no cost to the buyer.
The process of laser engraving jewelry begins with creating digital images or designs on the software. The laser-compatible software serves as a brilliant means of incorporating a personal message or commemorating a significant date on a jewelry piece.
The jewelry metal is then placed on the engraving machine, and the laser beam is maneuvered onto the surface of the material, following the path of the design.
This computer-controlled software provides you with the creative freedom to come up with new engraving possibilities: text, logo, hand signature, fingerprint, photos, and many others.
Above all, you can adjust the laser beam to vary the depth and intensity of the engraving, allowing for fine details and intricate designs.
You can play with different Fonts, symbols, vectors, and graphics, add customer picture templates or even bespoke designs that can be produced precisely.
The design is then etched onto the metal surface using vector files, a procedure that’s swift and delivers highly detailed outcomes.
Popular software such as Lightburn, and Ezcad offer smooth design interfaces to ease the transition between the world of graphic ideas and a manufacturing process.
Engraving Types and Techniques Other than Fiber Lasers
Engraving has been in practice, for over a decade, to give consumers their own personal accessory. Whether it’s your private collection of engraved luxury watches or your favorite signet ring, custom engraving makes it unique.
Different types of engraving are carried out, each with its own set of pros and cons.
- Hand engraving, which has a long-dated history, is still considered a craft and is largely followed. The tools are used to engrave precious gems and inscriptions on jewelry pieces using chisel. Hand-held tools like gravers of different sizes allow for incredibly detailed and intricate engravings. The only drawback with this method is the time-consuming aspect. It takes quite a lot of time to bring out your desired engravings on jewelry pieces.
- Another method is the Rotary engraving, which uses a spinning engraver managed and is commonly used on metals including sterling silver, gold, steel, and copper. It is run by a computer and results in precise engraving. It allows virtually any size or width of letters required. Consequently, it offers two- and three-dimensional appearances on metal surfaces, greatly suitable for industrial and commercial applications. The disadvantage to this technique is that it can’t be used on heat-sensitive materials. The friction generated in the process heats up and can damage delicate jewelry containing plastic, glass, or fragile gemstones.
- The diamond-drag jewelry engraving method is pretty innovative and modern, making it possible to process all existing precious metals and even stones. It enables you to use text and graphics of comprehensive unlimited sophistication, all while maintaining high levels of accuracy. It’s best suited for soft metals, and it efficiently engraves trophies and jewelry. This engraving process is generally very fast, and Its stroke widths enable easy engraving of small letters. The most significant drawback of this method is the price. It is pretty expensive
When it comes to the different engraving techniques, a Home Based jeweler like you should know the following
- The Shading technique is achieved When a laser engraver hits the surface and moves back and forth to “shade in” the area. Multiple tightly grouped fine lines or dots are applied in order to achieve light-to-dark contrasts. This can enhance or lower the overall quality of the engraving. Correctly produced, it will add life to the art. If shading is not fully understood and expertly executed, however, the engraver runs the risk of lowering the quality of his previous efforts.
- Laser texturing, another laser beam technique to modify materials’ texture and roughness. The main aspect to control here is the marking depth. The machine’s oscillator’s focused beam of light leaves tiny parts on a material. The emitted laser beam passes through a scanning mirror and is focused by the focusing lens before reaching the part surface.
Step 4: Quality Control and Post-Engraving Process
As crucial as these engravers are during the entire jewelry engraving process, it’s hard to ignore the importance of quality control or post-used maintenance. Or, to say it another way, even if you’re an experienced one doing the task, and there’s no quality control, it’ll be challenging for you to use the machine for long.
After you finish engraving jewelry, don’t think that your engraving job is done. Fiber laser processes demand detailed post-inspection of engraved jewelry in order to ensure each step has performed well. This will give you a chance to ensure the machine performs as expected and produces the required outcomes.
Although fiber laser systems have minimal maintenance requirements compared to inkjet printers, they still want your attention to periodically wipe lenses, replace filters, and check system alignment.
It may go further assessing each jewelry piece to ensure the stones are secure and their shapes are not distorted. It’s imperative to see consistency in gemstone color, and a set of gemstones must match. Circular bracelets and rings have an inner diameter, so make sure they’re not deformed. Defects such as notches, pits, and cracks are unacceptable. Consistency in color is also required for multiple gemstones.
After that, each piece should be professionally cleaned to a beautiful sparkle. Because of the delicate nature of these pieces, you might need to use quality assurance tools for additional assurance.
During or after the engraving procedures, make sure to prevent dust from collecting in the area by periodically wiping or blowing it away. Clearing away dust will keep your working surface clean and ensure you get a good look at the material and the machine.
Sometimes engraved Jewellery loses its luster to oxidation, tarnish, roughness, fading, and wear. You can protect these pieces by putting protective coatings such as electroplating or liquid polishers to lock their shine and sparkle for a long.
- The most generous advice to complete a successful engraving project is to start with low power speed. Although, the amount of pressure that is required is going to depend mainly on the material that you are engraving. But going with a minimum will help you prevent surface damage and loss of the material and produce fine engraving in the end.
- Metal engravers generate high-power heat while working on your project, so make sure to take periodic short breaks to allow the engraver’s tip to cool down sufficiently.
- Engraving is a tough process; you would prefer to avoid the beam hitting a moving target. Before getting started with any project, make sure the material you are engraving is going to be kept from moving around during the job and is completely secured.
- To learn how to use your tool, try practicing various words and symbols on an extra piece of material to avoid any irregularities. There is no better way to learn than to simply give it a try for yourself, so acquire a bit of extra material and start building up your skills.
- If you’re working on a project that includes shading or filling, try marking the outline of your project first before going back for those finer details.
Step 5: Market Your Laser-Engraved Jewelry
Marketing your home-based engraved jewelry brand may sound irrelevant as they’re assumed to be associated with people doing large-scale fancy businesses, but it’s not true.
If you want your customers to buy your engraved jewelry, they need to know you exist. This part of the process begins with exploring your niche and target audience, followed by assessing the demand for engraved jewelry in your local region. Which marketing channel would you opt for, either online or retail, or what will the USP of your product?
Clearly, your USP would communicate the value and benefits your personalized jewelry engravings offer compared to your competitors. It could be using sustainable materials, innovative design techniques, or quick turnaround times.
Once you’ve decided on the aspects above, you then need to prepare samples of the engraved jewelry to showcase their beauty, artistry, and rarity. You can use 3D design blueprints and prototypes to exhibit different varieties of the design, which will serve as the ultimate reference for the finished product.
Taking high-quality pictures and videos of the engraved items with different fonts, colors, and photography aesthetics and posting them online is a great idea to market your product features.
This would be an excellent chance to get your beautiful creations out into the world by creating a consistent and solid brand that your customers will know and love.
Alongside all these workings, creating a brand story centered around your engraving process would add immense value to attract and retain customers in the long run. It may include your selling points, why people should choose your jewelry over someone else’s, along with your goals, aims, and unique practices.
You can also do influential marketing by collaborating with the most-followed bloggers and celebrities and doing custom engraving to create that buzz.
Live shows, seminars, exhibitions, and PR are other marketing mediums you must tab on to have maximum customer reach.
In the ever-evolving world of jewelry crafting, the advanced fiber laser engraving technology has done fabulous work inscribing intricate designs and personalized engravings with exceptional accuracy.
The high-definition machines enable operators to perform creative markings on metallic jewelry, such as gold, titanium, and precious metals, being alloyed with copper and silver to provide a variety of colors.
For this purpose, many proven systems, including the ComMarker machines, offer state-of-the-art technology with competent built-in software that can be incorporated into factory operations or housed in small shops.
These high-qualitymetal engraving machine, which are up for sale, have high-quality shock absorbers that suppress the vibrations during the engraving process so that you can experience a seamless session of engraving procedures.
They’re maintenance-free, with no consumables, stability, and long service life, making them the perfect choice for those seeking a reliable jewelry laser marking machine.